The Robert Koda is something of a departure for high-end audio and for the high-end distributor behind the product. The distributor – Ten – is effectively an artisan-led company within the confines of the already quite artisan-led Absolute Sounds company. It’s like a diffusion label in reverse; where Armani has its Emporio line and Prada has Miu Miu, this is what happens when you go in the other direction… Privé Haute de L’Audiophile, if you will. As the equipment here is so uncompromising, it demands people who have a true understanding of the implications of such an approach; not simply retailers, but even the listeners themselves. This is not simply some status symbol product, or some kind of Veblen good. This is the result of a team already thoroughly well versed in what audio can do, and still striving for something over and above that already lofty audio performance.
As much as anyone who writes for a living about audio, you get to hear a lot of equipment, a lot of which is exceptionally good. Even the traditionally difficult preamplifier has some really good examples out there. But even set against such exalted company, the Robert Koda K-15 EX stands out above its rivals in pure performance terms. But, it’s far beyond my threshold of affordability, so I have to face up to the fact that the best preamplifier I’ve ever heard is likely always going to be beyond me and I will forever move in reduced circles as a result.
- Type: Line level preamplifier
- Inputs: Five pairs true balanced (pin 2 is Hot). Five pairs RCA
- Output: Two pairs RCA, Two pairs true balanced (pin 2 wired Hot)
- Voltage gain: +8dB at maximum volume
- Signal to noise ratio: 114dB A-weighted at 1Vrms output, 147dB at full output
- Frequency response: 20Hz–20kHz ±0.05dB
- Maximum output: 30Vrms single-ended, 60Vrms balanced
- Input impedance: 50kΩ single-ended, 50kΩ per phase balanced
- Output impedance: 60Ω Single ended, 30Ω per phase balanced
- Total harmonic Distortion: Less than 0.0003% at 2V RMS out, 1KHz, balanced input
- Dimensions (W×H×D): 389 × 158 × 385mm
- Weight: 29kg
- Price: £60,000
Manufactured by: Robert Koda
UK Distributor: Ten
Tel: +44(0)208 971 3909
Read Next From ReviewSee all
Warwick Acoustics BRAVURA electrostatic headphone system
Warwick Acoustics original electrostatic headphone now comes with more than a spot of Bravura!
- Alan Sircom
- May 2022